Article: All about Smudging
All about Smudging
Creating a sacred space is an ancient practice that has been used for centuries to honor, protect, and cleanse a space of negative energies and vibrations. One of the most popular methods for cleansing a space is through the use of sage wands. Sage wands are bundles of sage tied together with string and used for smudging, which is a ritual of burning herbs to purify the energy of a space.
When smudging a space, it is important to open the windows and doors to allow the smoke to travel throughout the space. Begin in the corner furthest away from the entrance and light the tip of the sage wand. Once lit, blow out the flame and allow the wand to smoke.
As you move around the space, allow the smoke to drift throughout the space, while also focusing on positive energy, intentions, and prayers. You can also use a feather to help move the smoke around and help direct it to all the corners.
Once you feel the energy of the space has been cleared, extinguish the sage wand in a fire-proof bowl. Then give thanks for the cleansing and close the door and windows.
Sage wands are a great way to clear and cleanse a space and can be a powerful ritual to practice when feeling overwhelmed or stuck. Through the use of sage wands, you can honor and protect the energy of a space and create a powerful, sacred space to help you feel grounded and connected.
10 ways to cleanse the energy of a space
- Smudge the space with sage, cedar, or palo santo, to clear negative energy.
- Get some fresh air by opening the windows and letting in sunshine and a breeze.
- Place crystals, such as clear quartz, amethyst, or selenite, around the space to absorb any negative energy.
- Play calming music to fill the room with peaceful vibrations.
- Hang wind chimes around the space to disperse negative energy.
- Take a cleansing bath with Himalayan salt or Epsom salt to detoxify and relax.
- Diffuse essential oils, like lavender, jasmine, and sandalwood, to purify the air.
- Practice yoga, meditation, and deep breathing to reset the energy.
- Place plants in the space to absorb toxins, such as ferns, aloe vera, and spider plants.
- Give thanks for the space and set an intention of positivity and love.